Friday, November 27, 2009

Bikepackin' day trip

I've been anxious to try out a new system I'm working on for carrying my sleeping bag for some overnighters I'm planning in the future & this rough, rutty road was the perfect test!


it seems to be the ticket for not a lot of $$$, less than $30 for the compression bag & 2 straps & it rides quite stable & is out of the way of my light, amazingly my wireless computer still works despite being blocked by the bag.


this was Lake McConaughy, north of Ogallala & that is looking east back towards Kingsley Dam & the "Morning Glory" where the water goes through the dam


looking back into a bay that is filling up after several years of very low levels


looking west, thats a boat heading into the dock there on the left side


my set up thus far, Sea to Summit e Vent compression bag on the front, Jandd frame bag & Jandd seat pouch, not pictured, on my back, a Gary Fisher pack with 100 oz water bladder & plenty of room for other items

canyons, cedars & lots of water

lookout point, hard to see the horizon with the water being as smooth as glass, kind of blends in with the sky


looking west over the lake as the sun's getting ready to set, this lake is over 20 miles long & 5 miles wide when full, Nebraska's largest lake

looking down to the northwest from the top of the dam, that is Lake Ogallala

looking down to the east, the thing at the bottom is a hydropower plant


I got lucky & found a short stretch of sweet, rocky singletrack


lifestyles of the rich & famous! this is called Million Dollar Bay, I wonder why?

looking down at the rocks


another secluded bay


cruise ship of the "redneck riviera"

2 comments:

Llama said...

Awesome trip. I've been itching to start doing some stuff like this. Very nice.

FixieDave said...

Nice